Visual Ramblings: the chronicles of tomas flint - visual explorer.

Enthusiastic observer of light, love & all things living.

Greetings beautiful blog people. Welcome to the newly renovated visual:ramblings. Here you'll find stories of love, tid-bits of wisdom and visual ramblings detailing the life and times of yours truly. The idea here is not to simply showcase my work, but to establish and maintain an interactive environment where readers and contributors become one in the same - as this space does not belong to me, but to all who breathe life into it through reading, embracing and reacting to its visual randomness. I sincerely hope that you enjoy your visit and look forward to a wonderful journey together.

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Two Photographers, One Sequence

Howdy!!!

Lots happening over here at flint headquarters. New logo design was unveiled this week (more on that in my next blog - check out my website in the meantime and please, feedback!!), a profile in a local magazine, the insider, coming out next week, and one super-amazing-fantastic wedding after another!! Busy in an understatement...good times nonetheless.

A couple of weekends ago, I had the pleasure of working with Nichole and Mike as they tied the knot in a quaint little ceremony on Seneca Lake at the stunning Geneva on the Lake Resort. If you haven't been to Seneca Lake, it is the largest of NY's Finger Lakes & represents the heart of NY's wine country. I brought along a second professional photographer (as I always do), to help me in the documentation. There are many reasons that I do this...security, stylistic diversity, personality, etc., but the number one reason is that I simply cannot be in two places at once. As the primary shooter, I've learned that establishing a loose strategy for camera placement can greatly benefit your end results.

So here's what we had:
-Primary Photographer: yours truly
-Second Photographer: the richly talented Kelli Marsh
-3 cameras
-1 ladder
-complete creative control
-fired-up-ed-ness
-a balcony view of the ceremony site
-a burning desire to create an interesting sequence of Nichole's entrance
-one shot at it

Here's the site:So the thought was...get Kelli in the balcony since she will be with the bride during the moments before. I planned to be down on ground level shooting the guys, officiant, family, friends, etc. I won't post those as they do not pertain to this sequence but overall, you get the picture. Anyway...with Kelli in the balcony, I had to be aware of her shot and therefore, give Nichole room to breathe. Then the plan was to rush behind the groom, get the over-the-shoulder shot, leap down the 5 or 6 steps to retrieve the ladder that I had stowed away in the bushes, set it up and, using the 3rd camera w. the fisheye, get the wide shot of the ceremony with the resort in the backdrop. Here's how it played out:

Entrance...safe, sweet
Kelli top down - one of my favorite shots of the entire day...well done Kel!!!
detail shot...same moment from the second perspective...

another 'safe' shot as i retreat to behind the groom/officiantbride approaches...you can see me as I bunny-hop the bush-thingy!!!
over the shoulder...just moments before the barrel roll down the steps
kelli fills with a killer landscape capture. Again, awesome!!!
Ladder set up, tommy on top step, camera change...success!!!
Now those of you who have worked with or around me know that I do not try to preconceive any aspect of the day. I function on the premise of 'revel in what you got and don't beat yourself up over what you missed'. From time to time though, I do see an opportunity and set forth a challenge to myself and my crew. In my opinion, this is a shining example of why I bring a second professional photographer along with me. Not just a second photographer, but a second professional photographer. These moments are once-in-a-lifetime and deserve nothing less.

A giant thank you to Mike and Nichole Jones for trusting us with this momentous day and to Kelli Marsh for your tireless dedication to stunning imagery. A couple more pics before I go. What would the day have been without little Benjamin??? ...and how handsome he looked in his little tuxedo!!!

cheers guys!!!Till next time...

be well,
t

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Shots!! I want to see more!!!!! xx, gg

Anonymous said...

party at poopy pants and nicoles, saturday, so we all want to see the photo's (free advertising!)xx, gg

Anonymous said...

brought tears to my eyes. Can you post some more of these great shots!

Anonymous said...

I love the "Dom Shot". Hot stuff! And of Course, the BRIDE looked GORGEOUS! GREAT WORK!

kennykimdotcom said...

great shots Tomas! I cant wait to see more (like the rest of your anonymous commenters!

Anonymous said...

Those are soooooo fabulous! I love the play-by-play of how you made them happen too. GREAT!

kelli marsh said...

You have no idea how much fun it is to be the sidekick to such brilliance. Fired up, ready to get amazing shots, even as we're melting in 95 degree heat. You're unstoppable! I'm so glad I was there, THANK YOU could never be enough.